Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

5 Reboots That Hold Up




So a couple of months ago on the Blog I added a poll of what post you guys would want to read next....... I got 1 vote. It was 5 Reboots That Hold Up. Now I know that this is an objective topic, and some of you may disagree with me. I Love Movies! And, to be honest, in some cases I'm such a fan of the IDEA of a movie that I'll become a little biased and give it more credit than it may deserve. If you guys disagree with me, I completely understand. I WANT your opinions on the matter. That's why at the end of every blog I ask you guys to add your input in the comment section below. So, without any further delay, here they are:

5 Reboots That Hold Up (In My Opinion!):

5) Man of Steel


This is one that a lot of people hated. Frankly, I really don't get why. It was great! I thought that this movie portrayed the story of the most fearsome, ... uhm, I mean popular (go back and read my post on my fear of Superman [http://2ndtierguardian.blogspot.com/2014/09/serious-take-on-something-non-serious.html]). IMDb.com gave the movie a 7.3 out of 10 Star rating, which again I think was too low. The movie as a whole was great. I saw it in 3-D with a group of close friends, and it was amazing. One of the guys in the group was my older cousin Will, who is a major comic geek. He had one problem with the movie:  [SPOILERS!]  that Superman killed Zod. Superman doesn't kill (suposedly.... read the post!) and the fact that he snaps Zod's neck was a major problem to him. I sort of feel that Superman didn't really have a choice; Zod would've continued to come back and put innocents at risk, and he'd already done enough damage. But, I can understand how that would be a big problem for most folks. Still, Superman stopping the villain of the movie in a fatal way should't ruin a movie. Henry Cavill and Zakk Snyder did a great job, and I can not WAIT for the Sequel. I feel that movie Hold's Up!

4) Robocop



IMDb.com wasn't as nice with this pick, giving it a 6.3 out of 10 Stars. I made the fortunate mistake of watching the reboot first and then went back and saw the original version, and I'm kind of glad, because I'm assuming that's the reason I was allowed to enjoy the Reboot. To me, this movie gets major bonus points: it's one of those movies that make you think about just how far our country will go to keep us "safe". It's a political thriller, in that aspect, which I think is awesome! A "sci-fi/superhero" movie can make us reflect on the state of our society. You combine that with an All-Star Cast, including Gary Oldman, Michael Keaton, Samuel Jackson, and combine the relatively new talent of Joel Kinnaman, Abbie Cornish, Jackie Earle Haley, and Michael Kenneth Williams, and we have a movie that, while based on an incredible Original, still manages to Hold Up!

3) The Amazing Spider-Man (Series)

                   
Again, this movie, or really these movies, have been getting some undeserved heat. I loved these! They were 1,000,000,000 x's better than the Tobey Maguire Trilogy! Andrew Garfield was the Perfect Peter Parker: He was just the right amount of nerdy and charming! They went into the back story of Peter's Parents! And the villains that they chose for this were unexpected and absolutely perfect. This all around was an amazing set of films. Also, they managed to do an awesome portrayal of Gwen Stacey. It's just a much MUCH better attempt (successful attempt at that) at the Spider-Man story. Also, keep in mind that these movies are predecessor's to the Maguire Trilogy, so it isn't hard to beat that. But, IMDb.com gave the first film a 7.1 and the second film a 6.9 out of 10 Stars. That's their opinion. To me, these movies Hold Up! 

2) Star Trek (Series)

                   

I am a Trekkie. I am, I love Star Trek. I've Seen some of the original movies, some of the original show, and I've seen some of The Next Generation, and I'VE LOVED IT! It's amazing. These movies were what got me to become such a fan. From what I've seen, most everybody else agrees with me that these movies were amazing. IMDb.com gave the first movie an 8.0 and the second a 7.8 out of 10, which is better than all of the other films we've looked at. I honestly think one of the big reasons everyone was so accepting of was: [SPOILERS] bringing back Leonard Nimoy as the future Spock, which they did in both films. Star Trek is one of the oldest titles in the modern-era of sci-fi, and adapting such a big name is tricky. You've really got to do it justice for it to work, and I think that these 2 latest movies do just that. You've got Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg, Zoe Saldana, Anton Yelchin, John Cho, and Karl Urban as the core crew of the Enterprise, and then you have villains played by people like Eric Bana and Benedict Cumberbatch, and then other big names like Bruce Greenwood, Peter Weller, Ben Cross, and Leonard Nimoy; That's just a great ensemble! These movies have action, adventure, suspense, romance, comedy, and lots and lots of sci-fi! These movies undoubtedly Hold Up!

& finally, the movie(s) that held up better than any other movie(s) have

1) Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy


I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on this number one pick, because it's almost a law that these films were phenomenally well accepted and most certainly hold up to the original films. Nolan was an absolute genius, and managed to bring a very realistic portrayal of Gotham City and all of the criminal/terrorist waves that come upon the city. Christian Bale is a great Batman, and everyone else that they chose for these films were perfect (I'm not going to list them all [go to IMDb.com and look yourself]). Batman Begins received an 8.3, The Dark Knight received a 9.0, and The Dark Knight Rises received an 8.5 on IMDb.com. They Hold Up, plain and simple. 

These were my picks. Tell me yours! Let me know what your picks were, if you disagree or agree with my picks, or just say hi in the comments below. I'll be posting My 5 Games I Can't Wait For In 2015 later today. Also, check out my latest Blog Post over in "It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This." on Nehemiah Chapter 1: Do Something! Give Me Geekery or Give Me Death!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *