Search This Blog

Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Top 5 Responses I Get When I Tell People I'm A Minister & A Geek


So, as I've several times in my posts, I'm a Christian. I'm a Missionary Baptist. To be even more specific, I'm the Youth/Assosciate Pastor at Calvary MBC in Magnolia, AR. I'm also a geek, obviously. I rep my Geekery proudly. That's the premise of this post: how people react to me being both a geek and a preacher. You can't even begin to imagine some of the responses I get when people find out that I teach Sunday school AND lead a crusade against the blight in Dragon Age; that I do puppet shows for the church youth AND got my Blastoise up to level 75 on Pokemon X; that I take the teens to camp over the summer AND that my DVR is full of The Walking Dead, Once Upon A Time, The Flash, Arrow, Marvel Agents of Shield, Gotham, Girl Meets World, and The Five Year Engagement (ok, those last two may have revealed TOO much about myself...... I'm so ashamed). People seem almost appalled sometimes when they find this out and I would wonder why? However, at the same time, people's expectations of Pastor's are set so high, it's a wonder anyone ever lasts in ministry. All of that being said, let's get into it, shall we?

The Top 5 Responses I Get When People Hear That I'm A Geek & A Minister:

5) "You Must Be A Youth Pastor." Why yes, actually, I am. This is the one I get the least. As a youth pastor, I do kind of have an excuse to still be quote "childish". As a youth pastor, it is important to stay up to date with what the youth is immersing themselves in. Video Games, Juvenile Fiction Books, TV Shows and Movies are what they're into, and it's what you can use to relate to them. The Gospel is meant to be spread, but it's also meant to be shared in a way that people can understand, and being a geek and witnessing to other geeks, it's my job to reach them in a way that they can better come to know Christ. Being a youth pastor means that I am trying to lead kids to Christ, and I can't do that unless I can be on their level. I have to be immersed into what they're always around. 

4) "Does The Church Know About This?" Ask anyone at my church, and they'll either tell you that I'm weird, eccentric, a geek, a nerd, or that I'm "crazy" as the kids in children church say. Yes, the church knows that I'm a geek. They know that I'm odd, and a goof ball. All of these blog posts are "advertised" on my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I'm not ashamed of showing people who I really am. I'm 100% saved. I love Christ, with my whole heart. I'm also a geek. I am who Christ made me. I believe that I am upfront enough that I'm a Christian and that everything I post you can see that. Is every church member thrilled by all of my decisions? No. Everyone will NEVER be pleased with Everything you do. That's a fact. So I'm me. I never try to be anything other than me. As long as I am right with God, what other people say or do or feel, doesn't matter. Bottom line. 

3) "Don't You Have Better Things To Do?" Ok, ....... sometimes, Yes, there are other things I could be doing. There's ALWAYS something the everyone could be doing more productive. So honestly, I can't really argue my way out of this one. Nor could anyone. I could try to bring up the fact that at-least I'm not doing this or this person does that or blah blah blah. That's called justification. I'm not gonna justify the fact that sometimes I geek out on things when I should be doing something else. I'll simply say this: I would never let my Geekery become a problem. If it ever gets to the point that my geekiness overshadows my Christianity, then I'm doing something wrong, and I'll do my best to change it. 

2) "Isn't That Sacrilegious?" Is what Sacrilegious Having a hobby? Being passionate about something? No! Of course not. Being a geek/games/movie enthusiast/nerd/whatever isn't sac-religious. Some of the options that are available to get passionate about are, yes. But loving video games and watching movies aren't sacrilegious, no. We have to guard our hearts and not give in to temptation. We have to be selective when it comes to choosing what we Geek out on. That should go without saying, but unfortunately it has to be repeated constantly. We have to look past stereotypes and get into the nitty gritty, but for most people, it's easier to judge things as a whole. Being a geek doesn't make you sacrilegious. Being sacrilegious make you sacrilegious. Going against what God has said is right and wrong for us, that's the problem. 

& finally, the response I get the most

1) "Grow Up." I'll admit, this one does tend to get under my skin. How do you respond to this? What do you say? When people say this, their minds are pretty much made up about what's "acceptable" to them. Being a geek isn't about age appropriate-ness, it's a lifestyle. It's something that transcends age. It's also something that has to be carefully entered into. Again, as I've stated in the other points: we have to be careful about what we Geek out on. Some things, the world has deemed wrong, or unacceptable, or childish, and we live in that world. Honestly, what we need to do is pray. Pray about whatever it is we want to be passionate about. See what God's Word has to say about it. Most people go to the passage of Scripture in 1 Corinthians Chapter 13 where Paul said, "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child:but when I became a man, I put away childish things." But that's taking the verse out of context. That entire chapter is about how we love as compared to God's love. God's love is patient and understanding, and when people try to tear us down or make fun of us for our interests and hobbies, then they aren't being very understanding or patient with us. Grow up. I am a grown up, and I have interests. I have hobbies. I have things that I am passionate about. I have grown up, and as a grown up, I don't demean others for what they care about.

That's my list. These things are almost always said to me when people find out what my interests are and consider what my profession, or really calling, is. What do you guys think? Is it wrong to be a Geek and a Preacher? What are your opinions on the matter? Let me know in the comments below. And remember, never let your Geekery outshine God and what He's doing through You!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *